Van Schaick Island was occupied by the Algonquin Indians when Henry Hudson originally arrived in 1609. On September 11, 1665, Captain Goosen G. Van Schaick and Philip Pieterse Schuyler purchased the island for one bushel of wheat. They called it Havers Island. Philip Schuyler transferred his interest in the island to Van Schaick in 1674. Van Schaick died in 1676 and willed the land to his wife from whom it passed to their son, Anthony G. Van Schaick (1655 - 1737). Anthony Van Schaick built Van Schaick Mansion beginning in 1735. Van Schaick Island served as a strategic Revolutionary War camp and it was from this place that Learned's brigade, under the command of Benedict Arnold, went to the aid of Colonel Peter Gansevoort at Fort Schuyler (Stanwick) at what is now Rome, NY.
Van Schaick Island Country Club was founded in 1895. The original golf course was comprised of two holes where the first and sixth holes are currently located. In 1900, the club was incorporated as "The Island Club". Jack Gormley designed the present nine hole layout in 1915. In 1916, the course changed its name to Van Schaick Island Country Club. In 1936, a fire destroyed most of the clubhouse. The clubhouse was rebuilt during the following year to include a new lounge, men's, and ladies locker rooms. In 1965 the club underwent major renovations as a new sprinkler system was installed and a pool was added. In 1988, the original par of 70 was changed to 72 as the first and 14th holes were extended.
Van Schaick Island Country Club has employed many head golf professionals including John Gaucas (1949-1974), Bill Dupuis (1975-1981), Stew Smith (1982-2000), and John Gentile (2001), Luke Scala (2002-2016) and current head golf professional, Bob Kennedy.
Source: A History of Golf in New York's Capital Region
updated: April 1, 2017