Van Schaick Island Country Club was founded in 1895. The original golf course was comprised of two holes where the first and sixth holes are currently located. In 1900, the club was incorporated as "The Island Club". Jack Gormley designed the present nine hole layout in 1915. In 1916, the course changed its name to Van Schaick Island Country Club. In 1936, a fire destroyed most of the clubhouse. The clubhouse was rebuilt during the following year to include a new lounge, men's, and ladies locker rooms. In 1965 the club underwent major renovations as a new sprinkler system was installed and a pool was added. In 1988, the original par of 70 was changed to 72 as the first and 14th holes were extended.
Van Schaick Island Country Club has employed many head golf professionals including John Gaucas (1949-1974), Bill Dupuis (1975-1981), Stew Smith (1982-2000), and John Gentile (2001), Luke Scala (2002-2016) and current head golf professional, Bob Kennedy.
Source: A History of Golf in New York's Capital Region
updated: April 1, 2017